The critics of Invisible Children’s tactics are thankfully beginning to make themselves known, but they’ll probably never have as much impact on the conversation as the stopKony video already has. 50 million plus views is just ridonkulous.
However a few humorous folks have restored my faith in the internet and its ability to dissect complicated issues with well places captions. These are my favorite Kony-influenced Internet memes:
- Let’s face it, the vast majority of the people who clicked on the link think like this:
- Now this is a call to action I can get behind:
- One does not simply walk into Mordor! LOL
- This one is kinda wrong, but so funny! I bet Jay-Z never thought that line would go THIS far:
- And last but not least, the grand-daddy of them all:
In case you’re wondering (and you really shouldn’t be), I think this whole stopKony nonsense is exactly that: nonsense. If you need a reason why, check out this tumblr blog, or listen to the podcast on Wednesday.